TOPIC: Command line calls for Desktop or Solutions

Command line calls for Desktop or Solutions 21 May 2011 02:53 #805

• storeyl@datadistributing.
Can any of the report options be passed either to Desktop or Solutions at runtime?

The sorts of things I'm talking about are parameters, login info, datasource. The datasource is particularly important, when testing reports in a deleveopment environment. We also have situations where there is a separate frozen end of month DB, on which a number of reports are run.

Is there any other way to do this, eg constructing or editing an RRD file at runtime? Is is simply a text file (if not encrypted)?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Command line calls for Desktop or Solutions 23 May 2011 14:04 #806

• aellis
Yes, in the Pro version of Logicity you can use Command Line Replacements to pass some of this. I wrote up a post about how you can use this feature a while back over here:

www.logicitysuite.com/support/support-fo...c=view&id=24&catid=9

Let me break down your individual questions as some things can work with command line replacements and some things cannot:

Parameters - Yes, the write-up mentioned above focuses primarily on doing this.

Login Info - Yes, you can place variables in the user name and password fields in Logicity Solution Builder and these could be replaced at runtime via command line replacements.

Data Source - No. This one is a bit of a bummer but what we have found is that in order to change the data source on a report we need to basically "edit" the RPT we are working with in memory and this requires additional licensing from SAP that we do not currently bundle with Logicity. It has been a while since we have evaluated all of the documentation from SAP but our understanding is that this would have made the free version of Logicity impossible.

Re:Command line calls for Desktop or Solutions 23 May 2011 14:07 #807

• aellis
One more thing - the RRD file *can* be encrypted but by default it is not. You can absolutely generate one of these constructing them programatically (I know some folks that have done this in the past).