TOPIC: Logicity Free Version banner still shows on Pro

Logicity Free Version banner still shows on Pro 22 Feb 2013 22:23 #1291

• mobsite
I've installed v1.7, and have registered with the Pro code, but when I run jobs via Task Scheduler, the resulting emails still have the banner in the footer. Logging works, so the Pro upgrade must have worked to at some level, so any thoughts on how to correct that?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Logicity Free Version banner still shows on Pro 22 Feb 2013 22:39 #1292

• mobsite
Some additional notes...

Forgot to mention the platform:
Windows 2008 R2 64-bit, Logicity v1.7.13.0

Just found that it also has a problem finding/using the proper Code39 barcode font via Task Scheduler.

However, executing the RRD within the Logicity solution builder works fine. Neither problem occurs. Primary difference between the 2 methods is the windows account used to execute. My account (solution builder) is local admin, the service account (scheduled task) is not, BUT it is running with "highest privelages in Task Scheduler. Can you possibly advise what permissions might be required, aside from full access to the file directories that house the RRD and RPT files?

Logicity Free Version banner still shows on Pro 25 Feb 2013 13:52 #1293

• aellis
Ahh - this is some great troubleshooting. I would definitely suspect as you have that this is a permissions issue. It can be a bit of an uphill battle to get permissions right on a non-privledged account, but here are a few pointers:

- The bit that tells us if Logicity is registered or not needs permissions to read HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SaberLogic\Logicity and / or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SaberLogic\Logicity. When you have this part opened up you should at least see that banner go away.

- The user will also need permissions to read any ODBC entries you have set up if applicable. This is also a registry permission.

- The user would need read access to the RPT and RRD files and have the ability to execute Logicity Desktop.exe.

- This might be dated information as some folks have advised otherwise, but in the past it has been the case that you'd need to be logged in as this service account at the time the task runs because we need to pop-up that "progress" dialog when it is running. However, that new "run whether the user is logged on or not" setting may handle that in newer versions of Windows.

That is all I can think of at the moment. Let us know what you find.

Logicity Free Version banner still shows on Pro 26 Feb 2013 22:07 #1297

• mobsite
OK, so the registry permission changes resolved the issue with the license/banner. There was no SaberLogic entry under HKLM\Software, so first we copied the reg settings from the installing user's hive into HKLM. That alone did not work, so Logicity must not reference HKLM. So, then we copied from the installing users hive to the service account hive, and then it worked.

That said, we still have the barcode font problem when trying running this action file as a non-interactive scheduled task. These reports use a bar code font (code39) that is installed and working fine when the reports are run via Solution Builder (or just run by double-clicking the action file). If the scheduled task option for "Run whether user is logged on or not" option is selected, the pop up dialogue is indeed supressed (even if the service user is logged in), but the resulting PDF file attachment is NOT printed on the generated PDF file attachment.

So, obviously, something is still being hindered when trying to run in that non-interactive mode. Can you advise? I can send you RRD and RPT files if needed.

Logicity Free Version banner still shows on Pro 26 Feb 2013 22:09 #1298

• aellis
Fonts can actually have permissions as well - could it be that the code 39 font is simply not accessible to the service account?

Logicity Free Version banner still shows on Pro 26 Feb 2013 22:31 #1301

• mobsite
I don't think it's permission though b/c I can do everything manually while logged into windows as that particular user. The scheduled task even works fine while i'm logged in as that user if I have it set to "run only when user is logged in", which is evidenced by the progress windows poppin up on the screen. However, as you folks alluded to earlier, when the checkbox for "run whether logged on or not" is checked, that progress bar dialogue is apparently suppressed and the font does not print.

Logicity Free Version banner still shows on Pro 26 Feb 2013 22:34 #1302

• aellis
I follow now. Ok, it sounds like the historical issue is still a problem with even newer versions of Windows. You need to be logged in as the user that is scheduled to run the reports for them to actually run. Long term we are going to ditch Windows Task Scheduler to get around this but for now there is not a workaround I know of.