TOPIC: Only the 1st action in RRD is consistently emailed

Only the 1st action in RRD is consistently emailed 22 Apr 2015 21:08 #1921

• bgold99
Using free version 1.7. There are 55 actions in the RRD. After creation several weeks ago, the RRD is set to run once/week, and each action emails a report to a designated email address. Every week, the first action on the list successfully gets emailed. On week 1 actions 1,5 & 6 successfully emailed. Next week, only action 1. Following week, actions 1.5,6 again went. Is this a timing issue? Suggestions on how to troubleshoot? I am told that the email addresses are accurate. Willing to go to Pro version if that would be helpful - for support, logging capabilities.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Only the 1st action in RRD is consistently emailed 23 Apr 2015 16:33 #1922

• RonMoses
Check the Action tab, see if the "Suppress If No Records" box is checked for each action. If it is, those reports may not be finding any data and therefore aren't shipping. Then you'd presumably have a report issue to troubleshoot.

Only the 1st action in RRD is consistently emailed 28 Apr 2015 15:14 #1925

• bgold99
Yes, the box is checked. Seems like you'd want that to happen - not send a blank report. If that's what's happening, would the execution of the RRD and therefore the rest of the actions within it stop?

If I uncheck it, what would be the effect - will it send blank reports to the addressee?

Only the 1st action in RRD is consistently emailed 28 Apr 2015 15:21 #1926

• bgold99
Additional info: when I tried to execute the RRd by double-clicking, the first action succeeded, then I got messages "the process cannot access the file . . . because it is being used by another process (emailCrystalReport).

Does that give you more clues?

Only the 1st action in RRD is consistently emailed 28 Apr 2015 15:24 #1927

• RonMoses
It wouldn't stop the RRD, no. But since 1, 5, and 6 are running, that suggests the RRD is not stopping/failing on 2, 3, or 4. My next thought was that there could be a problem with the underlying report.

Are all the actions different reports or the same report to different addresses?

Here's what I'd do next. Make a copy of the RRD and open it in Notepad. Remove all but the first seven actions. Open it in Solution Builder and set each action to email to you, and uncheck the Suppress If No Records box. Now execute the copied RRD. See what happens with 2, 3, 4, and 7. It might give you some clue as to what's going wrong.

Only the 1st action in RRD is consistently emailed 28 Apr 2015 15:26 #1928

• RonMoses
Okay, that update changes things. Are all the actions running different reports or the same report to different addresses?

Only the 1st action in RRD is consistently emailed 28 Apr 2015 15:27 #1929

• bgold99
It is the same report being sent to different addresses.

Only the 1st action in RRD is consistently emailed 28 Apr 2015 15:33 #1930

• RonMoses
Huh. Well, that shoots every theory I had out of the water. It sounds like some kind of timing issue where it's trying to perform the next action before the previous action has released the file. I can't say I've seen that before. I wish I could be of more help, but it sounds like the Logicity folks will need to answer that one. :(

Only the 1st action in RRD is consistently emailed 21 May 2015 14:43 #1957

• AWhewell1984
Weeks afterwards, but it seems good to cover off all the bases on this...

When Solution Builder emails out a file, it saves a temp version of it locally which it then picks up. The deletion of this can sometimes be a little delayed before the next action starts, so if you're using the same file name for all of the sent reports, it might be trying to save over a file which is currently being sent by the previous action.

Try selecting unique file names on the action tab and see if the same error still appears. If it does, I'm at a loss as to what to check next!

Cheers,

Andrew