TOPIC: RRD file not emailing some reports, occasionally

RRD file not emailing some reports, occasionally 07 Jun 2012 02:03 #1001

• storeyl@datadistributing.
I'm running a scheduled daily RRD file which generates a PDF report for each staff member and sends it to their email (for about 400 staff). I'm running V1.6.26.

It works fine most of the time, but at least one staff member doesn't get the email occasionally - say 50% of days. This has happened before with another staff member. (It's possible that it's happening with others, but checking them all's a bit tricky.)

There's nothing weird about the email address - internal - or the staff member. I'm confident that the report is valid, ie it returns a non-zero number of records, because run indpendently at the same time it always seems to work.

Any ideas?

Andrew
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:RRD file not emailing some reports, occasionally 15 Jun 2012 06:09 #1015

• SHARIBETH
within the same mail server destination?
May you write down (hardcopy) the page action of execution builder wizard?

Re:RRD file not emailing some reports, occasionally 17 Jun 2012 07:56 #1018

Almost all the email addresses are internal to the organisation, and a few of these are not getting their emails.

For action page see attached.

Andrew
Attachments:
Last Edit: 17 Jun 2012 08:04 by storeyl@datadistributing.. Reason: Attachment

Re:RRD file not emailing some reports, occasionally 27 Jun 2012 09:02 #1022

I've done some more checking on this. It appears that it's a timing problem between the email server and Logicity.

Each action in the RRD file makes a report in a PDF file with the same name. Occasionally the file is locked and a conflict occurs, which means that the email isn't sent. I presume this occurs more often if the file is larger, but I haven't tested this. It might also depend on the load on the email server.

I can probably fix this (at least in this case) by using a unique name for the PDF file for each staff. I'm looking however at a more sophisticated solution with multiple attachments, ie sending the emails external to Logicity.

Andrew