TOPIC: Cannot run batch file in RRD via Scheduler

Cannot run batch file in RRD via Scheduler 31 May 2016 10:22 #2277

• RonMoses
It would appear that RRDs that contain a custom file cannot be run by Windows Scheduler. When I include a batch file in my RRD, I can run the RRD on its own; but when I trigger it from scheduler I get a message saying that the RRD includes a View event and cannot be run in scheduling mode. This is a big problem for us, as we have a batch file that distributes critical reports to multiple computers every morning.

I have tried changing this item from Custom to Crystal Report, then going into the Action tab and changing it to Save before switching it back to Custom, but it does not stick.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cannot run batch file in RRD via Scheduler 01 Jun 2016 13:13 #2278

• bellis
Hey Ron!

Yeah that probably would be a problem because executing a batch script would probably need to launch a command line window. Could you switch it around and instead call the logicity RRD in the batch script after your process and then schedule the batch script instead of scheduling the RRD?

Thanks!
Brian

Cannot run batch file in RRD via Scheduler 02 Jun 2016 10:40 #2281

• RonMoses
As the batch needs to run last, I've simply given it its own Scheduler task and set it to run a safe time after the RRD.

ron

Cannot run batch file in RRD via Scheduler 26 Feb 2017 08:42 #2504

• naveen@sarauae.com
Hi Ron,
Were you able to get any solution to your issue . I too am stuck with this issue where in i have 4-5 reports running in sequence and the last event is a dos batch file to be called to dump these report to a particular folder . The batch file run in the rrd if run manually , but thru' scheduler it pops up the error.

Thanks
Naveen

Cannot run batch file in RRD via Scheduler 27 Feb 2017 11:50 #2505

• RonMoses
Hi Naveen. I resolved it with the workaround described in my last post. I simply set up a new Scheduler task to run after the RRD, and used that to trigger the batch file directly.

Cannot run batch file in RRD via Scheduler 27 Feb 2017 12:00 #2506

• naveen@sarauae.com
Hi Ron,
But that would become a de-linked process . I was curious whether you found any workaround to make the rrd work . In my case i am not sure as to when the previous activity would get completed so as to trigger this batch file .That's the reason i made it part of the RRD ( as a last sequential activity), But it looks like i too have to keep the last activity as windows scheduled jobs.
The features list of RRD is quite misleading , it states that it can execute batch files , but never stated that it cannot be set as as scheduled task.

Thanks
Naveen