TOPIC: Need help with Oracle report

Need help with Oracle report 01 Jun 2017 11:39 #2545

• RonMoses
I have very little experience with Oracle, I'm a SQL Server guy. All the reports I've scheduled thus far have been based on SQL Server, but now I'm trying to schedule reports for Oracle. I have the client set up correctly on the reporting server, connections are tested, so I know the ODBC part is good. But I'm having trouble getting Logicity to take the connection, and I think it's probably just a case of not knowing how to set up the Database Info tab for an Oracle connection. So my question is, if I have the following in my ODBC connection:

Data Source Name: PROD_DATA
TNS Service Name: PROD

How does that translate to what I enter in the Database Info tab? I've tried entering these two values in the Database Server and Database Name boxes, but depending on what order I put them in, I either get "Database logon failed" or "Failed to open the connection". What could I be doing wrong?
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Need help with Oracle report 01 Jun 2017 11:53 #2546

• RonMoses
I just noticed I can't run the report in the Logicity Crystal Viewer either, I get a logon failed. Ugh. I hate Oracle. But anyway, I guess the situation is more dire than I thought.

Need help with Oracle report 01 Jun 2017 12:24 #2547

• aellis
Hey Ron,
We are similar to you here - know a lot about SQL Server but Oracle is a bit of a mystery. But I do know that Oracle via Logicity is possible as we have a product that uses Crystal Reports to batch e-mail invoices and some of our customers are Oracle. I believe when we made up RRD files in the past for Oracle we had to leave database server and database name blank filling in only the user name and password. But getting it to work in the viewer first is the way to isolate things out for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RonMoses

Need help with Oracle report 01 Jun 2017 12:26 #2548

• RonMoses
I've resolved it. Didn't do enough forum-searching first! I needed the 32-bit driver, duh, and I also left those two fields blank. It's working a charm now. Thanks!

Need help with Oracle report 01 Jun 2017 12:51 #2549

• aellis
Glad to hear it! At some point when you have a bit of free time, check out what will soon be the successor to Logicity, Bezlio (bezl.io/). We run weekly webinars every Wednesday and I'd love to show you what this new platform will do for you.