TOPIC: "Failed to open the connection" error

"Failed to open the connection" error 25 Sep 2015 05:50 #2035

• balvarez
I just installed Logicity Solution Builder 1.8.8 on a Windows 8.1 computer. When I try to open a Crystal 2008 report from Desktop Builder or run it from the Solution Builder, I get this error message twice followed by "report_name<guid>.rpt". The report is never generated.

I can open the same Crystal 2008 reports and run the RRDs with these reports in version 1.6, without any problems.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"Failed to open the connection" error 07 Dec 2015 10:59 #2107

• bud.manz
We are having this issue as well. It doesn't do it on some reports and it seems that the ones that fail all have date parameters.
balvarez wrote:
I just installed Logicity Solution Builder 1.8.8 on a Windows 8.1 computer. When I try to open a Crystal 2008 report from Desktop Builder or run it from the Solution Builder, I get this error message twice followed by "report_name<guid>.rpt". The report is never generated.

I can open the same Crystal 2008 reports and run the RRDs with these reports in version 1.6, without any problems.

"Failed to open the connection" error 07 Dec 2015 13:50 #2108

• mholbrook
Hello,

When they fail are you running them in Logicity Solution Builder or Logicity Desktop? I would first verify you can run them in Logicity Desktop (double clicking the .rpt file). Do all reports have the same data source? Are you running free or Pro?

Thanks!
Matt

"Failed to open the connection" error 07 Dec 2015 13:54 #2109

• bud.manz
I can run them from my PC (I have Crystal Reports installed on it.) So far, it appears that the reports are failing on PCs that doesn't have CR installed. I can run them on my PC using Logicity Desktop (version 1.8); this is the same version the other users are using too.

"Failed to open the connection" error 07 Dec 2015 14:00 #2111

• mholbrook
Have you verified that you have an odbc connection setup that exactly matches the DSN name that is saved in the report. Also, if you are running a 64 bit computer you must verify you have a 32 bit odbc. Rather than setting up in the control panel go to %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64 and the file is odbcad32.exe . Thanks!

Matt

"Failed to open the connection" error 23 Aug 2016 20:44 #2389

• balvarez
I resolved this problem by populating the "Name" of the DSN (as it appears in the ODBC configuration dialog) as the "Database Server" field in the Logicity Database Info screen.
It is a little misleading because usually when you see "Database Server", you tend to think of the server's DNS hostname. When I would try to use the actual database hostname (sqlserver.mydomain.com) as the Logicity "Database Server" field, I would always get the "connection error".
Last Edit: 23 Aug 2016 21:02 by balvarez. Reason: Additional information.