TOPIC: Subreports

Subreports 17 Nov 2009 21:38 #559

• jsmith
I am trying to view various Crystal Reports with the free version of Logicity Desktop. Virtually any report I choose works OK EXCEPT one that has two subreports embedded in it. I am using a "remote" SQL database and the subreport data is in exactly the same database as the main report data. I am using a standard ODBC connection set up for SQL Server.

Everytime I run this report it asks for password but always says the password is incorrect. After a couple of tries it locks out the database. I never have this problem running using Crystal iself.

Does the free version of Logicity not allow running Crystal Reports with subreports? Or could there be some other problem? Logicity Desktop version is 1.6.3499.14052.

Thanks for any help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Subreports 18 Nov 2009 13:38 #560

• aellis
There shouldn't be any issue running subreports with the free version (as long as it uses the same data source); we do that all of the time. It is hard to say exactly what is tripping it up, but here is what I would try to get to the bottom of things:

1. Do a 'Set Location' on every connection / table on the report to be certain they are all using the same ODBC data source with the same credentials. Re-try then to see if that fixes it.

2. With some databases / versions of Crystal, the user name is stored in the report which has been known to cause some troubles with Logicity. The short of it is that the user saved in this report needs to be the same one provided in the Logicity Solution File and it must be consistent for all objects on the report. Check it out by going to Set Datasource Location, expand the 'Properties' node below each connection (you will have one for the main report and one per subreport), and note the User ID field. You can hit the F2 key to edit this information.

Let us know what you find,
AE

Re:Subreports 18 Nov 2009 14:58 #561

• jsmith
>>Let us know what you find,AE

Thanks, but I tried all your instructions and it didn't work.

When I take the subreport out of the main report, and then run with Logicity, it works fine. When I put the subreport back in, it doesn't work.

In fact after it prompts me for the password and then tells that it is incorrect (it's not!), it seems to send some kind of instruction back to the SQL database to lock it because if immediately after I try unsuccessfully to run it with Logicity and then open it in Crystal Reports it reports the password is bad because the database has been locked. It seems to unlock itself after a couple of minutes.

So not only won't Logicity run the report with the subreport embedded, it somehow fouls up the underlying database!

Any other suggestions? Sorry to be so much trouble but I am really hopeful getting this to work somehow.

Thanks for any other ideas.