TOPIC: Solution Builder problem with saved parameters

Solution Builder problem with saved parameters 23 Aug 2010 14:08 #650

• jpratt@masonicare.org
I have a Crystal 8.5 report with a couple report parameters. Logicity Desktop correctly prompts for parameters and displays the report. Also, Solution Builder will view the report correctly if I allow it to prompt for parameters. However, if I try to specify the parameter values in Solution Builder, when the solution is executed, Desktop will always throw an "Invalid report file path" error.

It seems like there is some kind of bug preventing specified parameters from working. Am I missing something or is this functionality just broken?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Solution Builder problem with saved parameters 23 Aug 2010 14:21 #651

• mattholbrook
Hi,

What type of parameter is it..string, date, number? Also, do you have a higher version of Crystal you could save it in to see if that may fix the problem? If you would like you can send me the report and I will save it in Crystal 11 and send it back to you. My email address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Thanks!!
Matt

Re:Solution Builder problem with saved parameters 23 Aug 2010 21:34 #652

• jpratt@masonicare.org
Thanks for the reply. I figured out what's going on. There are two report parameters defined (a string and a string range). However, the string range is not actually used in the Select Expert (we've been trying out different filter criteria). Only the single string is used, so that's the only one I was specifying in the Solution Builder. If I specify values for the unused range parameter as well, the Solution Builder will launch it OK.

This is a little unexpected as both Crystal and Logicity Desktop will only prompt for report parameters that are used in the Select Expert. But it's not a problem now that I know. Thanks again for the quick reply.
Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010 21:36 by jpratt@masonicare.org.

Re:Solution Builder problem with saved parameters 13 Jan 2011 23:55 #735

• cheirobom
Okay I got past the failed to retrieve error. I made a new stored procedure with the dbo schema. Not sure why that works but it does. Nothing different in the sp just different schema and sp name.

So it runs in the rrd now with a parameter specified for the main report. Thought i was home free now but still got other problems. When i switch the parameter to %ICN% so I can pass a command line parameter it doesn't work. Using the print action and running

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SaberLogic\Logicity\Logicity Desktop.exe" "6x4Labels.rrd" ICN=5594140

from the command line, it runs without visible error but it does nothing.

I tried changing the action to view and executing the rrd from solution builder. That gives me error of invalid report file path.

Can you try out the sample report you made with main and sub reports that have a parameter. And see if it takes a command line parameter?

In the rrd the available parameters only list the parameter for the main report. Should it also show the sub report parameter? Or is that not necessary since the main stored procedure provides the parameter for subreport?

Re:Solution Builder problem with saved parameters 14 Jan 2011 13:56 #736

• aellis
On your command line, I think you are going to need to give the path to the RRD file as opposed to just the file name. So you have this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SaberLogic\Logicity\Logicity Desktop.exe" "6x4Labels.rrd" ICN=5594140

and it should be something like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SaberLogic\Logicity\Logicity Desktop.exe" "R:\Report\6x4Labels.rrd" ICN=5594140

Re:Solution Builder problem with saved parameters 14 Jan 2011 15:33 #737

• cheirobom
That did it. Thanks for all your help.