TOPIC: Failed to open database connection

Failed to open database connection 16 Nov 2015 11:24 #2084

• Tassie
Similar to several other posts (sorry) but none addressing this specifically:

I've just downloaded v1.8 Pro, running on Windows 7 SP1. Looks good but I can't connect to the database!

I picked up the Crystal Reports .rpt file developed against a test database, and now want to connect to a different server using Windows Authentication. In the solution builder action / database connection I put in the server name and database name, leave the userid/password blank, but when I run it I get the message reported in many other threads here:
Failed to open the connection.
Failed to open the connection.
<report name>
{GUID}.rpt

My reports have been developed using Crystal Reports 2008, CR Developer version 12 (packaged with another product we bought). Reports connect via OLEDB (ADO) to SQLServer 2008 R2 using Windows (integrated) authentication. I can connect to the target database using Windows Authentication via SQL Management Studio running on the same machine. I've also tried setting up a SQL Server userid and connecting using SQL Server Authentication, but same thing happens.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Failed to open database connection 16 Nov 2015 14:14 #2085

• KCrane
Hi Tassie,

Please try selecting None for the Database Info. This should work best for Windows authentication.

Keith

Failed to open database connection 17 Nov 2015 07:48 #2089

• Tassie
Thanks Keith, but I want to run the reports against a different instance of the database than they were developed on (identical table structures but different database name, hosted on a different server) so I need to tell it the new source somehow. I've tried every combination I could think of for the Database Info without success - all got the same message as reported earlier:
> specified the server and database but left the userid and password empty;
> specified the server and database, left the userid and password empty, then switched back to 'None' (which disabled the fields but kept the contents when I exited the wizard;
> specified server, database, userid and password, using my network credentials
(as used successfully when connecting from SQL Mgt Studio using Windows Authentication)
> specified server, database, userid and password, using credentials set up in SQL Server (used successfully from SQL Mgt Studio when connecting using SQL Server authentication).

I'm 100% sure of the server and database names, as I've connected with them using SQL Mgt Studio.

Questions:
> The original connection was configured in the Crystal Report to use OLEDB, using the Microsoft OLEDB Simple Provider.
Can Logicity handle this type of connection, or does it need ODBC only?
> There's nothing on the Database Info tab to select between Windows Authentication and SQL Server Authentication - it is designed to cater for both?

This is frustrating, as I think the tool will probably be ideal if only I can get it to connect!

Failed to open database connection 30 Nov 2015 10:19 #2102

• Tassie
I haven't had any recent replies to this question. Still keen for help.

Can anyone tell me - is Logicity designed to allow me to specify a source SQLServer database at runtime that is different to that used to develop the report, and connect using Windows Authentication? This seems like a basic requirement, so I expect it is possible. Are there any known issues in this area - eg Windows or SQL Server versions, etc?

Failed to open database connection 30 Nov 2015 14:16 #2103

• aellis
Tassie,

We unfortunately do not have a feature to specify the database name at runtime. We simply provide the credentials for the database name the report was written to run against but what we do not do is what would be the equivalent of "Set Location" to point it to the desired database. There was some licensing uncertainty on our end whether our product could do that without bundling some sort of Crystal designer license so we have shyed away from it in the past. But this is definitely something we keep on our feature request list and re-evaluate the license of the Crystal Reports runtime from time to time to see if anything is clarified to give us a clear "OK" that we can do this with no supplemental licensing.

Regards,
Adam