TOPIC: Citrix install error fixed

Citrix install error fixed 20 Feb 2008 20:18 #107

• jpratt@masonicare.org
Besides the invalid report path error we were getting under Citrix (see Technical topic), we were getting a "Not Implemented. Failed to retrieve data from the database." error on 2 out of 3 Citrix servers we installed the viewer on. We originally thought the M: drive mapping for the local C: drive on the first Citrix server we tried was causing this problem as well as the path error. We got the viewer to work on one existing Citrix server with a standard C: drive mapping, but then it failed on a newly built Citrix server with the standard C: drive mapping.

FYI, our test reports were done in Crystal 8.5 and 11 and use an OLE DB connection to SQL Server.

We tried everything we could think of related to the viewer, and found nothing of note on the web (since the Crystal OLE DB DLL that often needs to be copied to the local System32 directory doesn't even exist on my PC even though I have full Crystal 8.5 and 11 and the Logicity viewer works fine on my PC).

Well, it turns out that the whole problem is resolved by installing the latest MDAC (we used 2.8, SP1) on the machines the viewer is running on. My PC and the one "good" Citrix box already had the latest MDAC, so we installed it on the other server with a standard C drive mapping and everything suddenly worked. We haven't tested on the server with the M: drive mapping since we aren't using that server for the final solution.

It might be a good idea to note under System Requirements or elsewhere that for reports accessing SQL Server, the latest MDAC should be on the same machine as the viewer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.