• Page:

TOPIC: The application failed to initialize propertly

The application failed to initialize propertly 16 Mar 2009 20:53 #405

• shayward
I just installed the free edition of Logicity and it will not launch. I installed everything except for the Runtime. I already have Crystal Reports 2008 installed and (as my unfortunate colleague found out) installing the Runtime breaks Crystal Reports 2008, requiring a full reinstall of CR2008.

The machine I'm trying to use for Logicity is a VMWare VM running Windows XP Professional v2002 SP3 with 768MB of RAM given to it. The host is Windows XP x64 but the virtual machine I'm trying to use is x86.

Every time I try to launch Logicity, I get the following error:

The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Shaun
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 16 Mar 2009 21:05 #406

• bellis
Hi Shaun,

I believe that the installer specifies that you should only install the runtime if you do not have Crystal Reports already installed.

I would suggest uninstalling Logicity, the runtime, and Crystal. Then re-install Crystal, make sure that Crystal by itself is working properly, then reinstall Logicity without choosing the option to install the runtime.

In addition, make sure that you have the latest version of .Net installed and you are running the latest version of Logicity.

Thanks!
Brian

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 17 Mar 2009 19:56 #408

• shayward
Thanks, Brian

It seems to be crashing differently now. I installed .NET 3.5 SP 1 and .NET 1.1 (the latter just for the heck of it). Now I get the splash screen but it crashes thus:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=12.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=12.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304'
   at Logicity_Desktop.ViewerForm..ctor(Int32 recordNumber, Array actList, Array parmList, Array setList)
   at Logicity_Desktop.ProgressForm.ProgressForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

I haven't had the time to go through and look at the stack trace... too busy with a reporting deadline.

Crystal Reports 2008 was already installed on the computer. Actually, it was the first and only thing (except for Windows) installed on it. I then installed Logicity afterwards, telling it NOT to install the Runtime.

Thanks
- Shaun

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 17 Mar 2009 20:00 #409

• shayward
Also note:

I couldn't find 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine' in the GAC. None of the DLLs bore that name (or a part of it) when I did a search for the file under C:\Program Files\Business Objects

I wonder if Crystal Reports was installed without the .NET COM Interop? One of the techs installed it (I usually prefer to do that stuff myself).

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 27 Apr 2009 19:15 #426

• epack
I'm getting what sure looks like the very same error (can't load file) with the free viewer version ~.0013. I do have 3.5 sp1 of the framework, but I have no version of Crystal Reports at all. In addition, a coworker who DOES have the full CR version tried to install the viewer and he also got the same error. Is there a fix?

TIA

elaine
charlottesville, va
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=12.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=12.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304'
etc

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 27 Apr 2009 19:34 #427

• mattholbrook
Hi Tia,

Did you just upgrade to .Net3.5? If you updated after you had Logicity installed you may need to do a complete uninstall of Logicity and Crystal Reports Runtime (2 separate uninstalls). Then go back and reinstall both(make sure to not install the runtime on the system that contains CR2008 as it is not needed.

Thanks!
Matt

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 27 Apr 2009 19:53 #428

• epack
mattholbrook wrote:
Hi Tia,
Heh! Actually I'm Elaine. TIA is "Thanks In Advance" :lol:
Did you just upgrade to .Net3.5? If you updated after you had Logicity installed you may need to do a complete uninstall of Logicity and Crystal Reports Runtime (2 separate uninstalls). Then go back and reinstall both(make sure to not install the runtime on the system that contains CR2008 as it is not needed.

No, I've had 3.5 SP1 for quite a while. And unless it came in with the Logicity product, I don't have any version of CR on my system at all, never did, nor do I see it in the Add/Remove prog dialog. The install of Logicity thus was completely fresh, and it was our understanding that you didn't need to have any version at all of CR loaded, you could simply run a .rpt file. Correct?

Wait, I lied. I initially loaded Logicity version 1.6.0008 from my coworker, but after it failed for the same reason, got the current one from the site. That didn't work either, as noted.

elaine

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 27 Apr 2009 20:17 #429

• mattholbrook
Hi Elaine, (haha sorry was reading through the previous thread too fast!)

Have you done a complete uninstall and reinstall or did you install the new version over the previous version of Logicity. Either way I would try uninstalling Logicity and runtime from your system, then reinstalling. If you still don't have any luck try running you windows update and try to install again.

Thanks!!
Matt

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 27 Apr 2009 22:12 #430

• epack
mattholbrook wrote:
Hi Elaine, (haha sorry was reading through the previous thread too fast!)
No sweat!
Have you done a complete uninstall and reinstall or did you install the new version over the previous version of Logicity. Either way I would try uninstalling Logicity and runtime from your system, then reinstalling. If you still don't have any luck try running you windows update and try to install again.

Well, when I installed .008, that was the first time I'd ever used the product, ever, and it failed. And I'm still not sure what you mean by the "runtime". I don't have nor ever did have any version of Crystal Reports other than this viewer. Everything else on my system is completely up to date.

Thanks, Matt!

elaine

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 28 Apr 2009 18:57 #431

• epack
epack wrote:

OK, some success. We did do the uninstall of .0013 and reinstalled it one more time, and surprisingly it now works. Sortof. We got past the runtime error, why we are not sure, but now we are getting a different error.

We wound up creating a new ODBC on my HD, then ran the Solution Builder with a file that had the credentials in it. It actually brought up the report, but when we paged forward to the very last page, we get another error message "Report Application Server failed". I didn't see this error message string here, tho. Any suggestions? Again, we do not have the full CR product loaded on my machine or anywhere in our network. (I do now understand that the runtime you were referring to was installed by the Viewer)

(If this is something I should put into a new thread, be happy to do so, just let me know)

Thanks
elaine
  • Page: