• Page:

TOPIC: The application failed to initialize propertly

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 28 Apr 2009 19:03 #432

• bellis
Hi Elaine,

How complex is this report? Typically when we have seen errors like that it is due to a formula producing an error situation on a later page (like a divide by 0 or something). In Crystal, the error would occur and it would jump to that formula but in the Viewer it can only error out.

Thanks!
Brian
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 28 Apr 2009 19:27 #433

• epack
bellis wrote:
Hi Elaine,
How complex is this report? Typically when we have seen errors like that it is due to a formula producing an error situation on a later page (like a divide by 0 or something). In Crystal, the error would occur and it would jump to that formula but in the Viewer it can only error out.
Thanks!
Brian

Interesting. I think this is indeed what may be happening. The final page that it fails on is a summary type page, and when we ran a test of it in the viewer without that page, it works fine. It does work properly in full Crystal tho, just not in the viewer.

Are there other potential error situations that would run in CR but not in the viewer? We do have a possible divide by 0 condition, but it's being checked in the base report and in fact does not fire as an error. No other errors fire in the base report when run in CR.

thanks,
elaine

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 28 Apr 2009 21:03 #434

• bellis
Did you make sure that when you viewed it in Crystal that you went to the last page? Crystal only analyzes formulas on the current page you are viewing so you do need to make sure and skip to the end.

Outside of that, I cannot think of a situation in Crystal where an error would appear in Logicity but not CR. Unless you are using any custom UDFs or anything like that (dlls used in Crystal, like barcode formulas).

Thanks!
Brian

Re:The application failed to initialize propertly 29 Apr 2009 01:30 #435

• epack
bellis wrote:
Did you make sure that when you viewed it in Crystal that you went to the last page? Crystal only analyzes formulas on the current page you are viewing so you do need to make sure and skip to the end.

Since I don't have CR, *I* can't do that, but my coworker (whose report it is) was able to view the entire report including that final summary page just fine in Crystal.
Outside of that, I cannot think of a situation in Crystal where an error would appear in Logicity but not CR. Unless you are using any custom UDFs or anything like that (dlls used in Crystal, like barcode formulas).

All of this said, he modified the last page of the report and removed one particular part of the report, and it ran perfectly in the viewer, allowing us to narrow it down to a specific set of fields--this is a HUGE improvement! I'm not very familiar with CR but he can now work at it until he figgers out how to tweak the formula in question to make it work right. Hopefully it's not too complex!

Thanks to you both, Matt and Brian! You definitely both rock!

Cheers!

elaine
  • Page: