TOPIC: Initial thoughts and issues (batching and SSL)

Initial thoughts and issues (batching and SSL) 04 Dec 2012 03:00 #1239

• junkbox
First off great program.
I have been a CrystalDesk user for quite a while now, and recently ran into a unique issue with a client (who will be purchasing Pro). It would appear that the run time files that are distributed with CrystalDesk don't always properly handle reports with the 'Default Values for NULL' option in formulas. So my formulas that checked for duplicates <> Next() or Previous() displayed incorrectly on the exported report (but fine in Crystal) :S
My thought is that the run times supplied with CrystalDesk are a version before the option to use default values for NULL, I could be way off on that it's been a while since I used CR 8.5 so I don't really remember if it was an option then or not. Regardless, and for posterity just know that CrystalDesk doesn't always render reports correctly when using formulas like that.
OK that all being said, this client has a few reports they need emailed to them weekly, which I've created. After running into the above issue I found Logicity and have a couple 'issues'

1. When setting up SMTP, my SSL button is permanently greyed out. I was going to do some test runs through gmail but was unable to do so as I could not tick the SSL box. From reading certain posts I understand that SSL is kinda a new feature so I may be premature in my post, but don't see a way to enable this.
I ended up using the clients SMTP server instead with a new account and that problem became a non issue. Email sent swimmingly. My question is, is this a common bug (the greyed out SSL option)? Also I decided to get a little hacky dacky on it and opened the RRD in notepad (yes I like to break things) and switched the SSL variable to true. Cool way to handle RRD settings btw, I likes me some text file settings files e.g. *.ini.
So the question is, is that a valid way to override SSL if the option in the application isn't available? I haven't actually run the job yet with the hacked RRD.

2. The client has multiple reports that need to be emailed, is there a way to zip or gzip all of the files of an RRD into one email or conversely add more than one report to a single RRD action? As it stands now I have an RRD with 4 actions 'ExportReport1', 'EmailReport1', 'ExportReport2', 'EmailReport2'. Ideally I would just be able to use grouping in Crystal and 'new page after' but the way this wonky database is set up breaks the report when grouping by the field I need - So I have set up actions in logicity with predefined parameters to emulate grouping. The downside being that I have to send multiple emails.

Regardless, neither of the above is a deal breaker, but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking the obvious.

thanks again

-jb
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Initial thoughts and issues (batching and SSL) 04 Dec 2012 13:16 #1240

• aellis
Thanks for the kind words! The SSL is a Pro feature so that is why that one is greyed out for you. As for the batching feature, this is actually something on our more immediate wish list for new features so hopefully we will have a better option for that shortly. In the meantime, what you can do is have all of the reports do a 'Save' action and dump out to a folder. Then, as the last action on your report, tell it to run a batch file that will zip that up and e-mail it. Having an action run a batch file is another Pro feature.

Initial thoughts and issues (batching and SSL) 04 Dec 2012 20:18 #1241

• junkbox
OK great. No worries on the Pro version, I have already informed them of the purchase, I'll most likely grab a copy for personal use as well. Understood on SSL. Once I have the Pro version installed, I will look into your suggestions on zipping and emailing as part of the action. If I need further assistance I will ht the forums. Thanks for you prompt reply and keep up the good work.

-jb