TOPIC: RPT parameter with a comma

RPT parameter with a comma 21 Mar 2014 18:30 #1542

• RonMoses
I'm finding that when I use a parameter value in Solution Builder that includes one or more commas, only the portion of the parameter following the last comma is passed to the report.

For example, I'm running a report where I need data on three of our remote offices. The report accepts a comma-separated list of office IDs. So I set up the report with this parameter value:

GSIM,APC,FHWC

When the report is run, only FHWC is passed to the report parameter. I've confirmed this by displaying the parameter itself on the report. Is there a way to address this? The RRD contents are as follows:

;WORKSPACE_MODE=FALSE
EmailReport[OpenAppointments FHWC/GSIM]=C:\Reporting\OpenAppointments.rpt?DiscardSavedData=True&dbserver=xxxxxx&dbdb=xxxxx&dbuser=xxxxx&dbpass=xxxxx&recip=xxxxx@xxxxx.org&subj=Open Appointments report&CC=&BCC=&msg=Please see the Open Appointments report, attached.&export=Microsoft Excel 97-2000 - Data Only (XLS)&smtpserver=exchange.xxxxx.org&smtpport=25&smtpauthentication=False&smtpuser=&smtppassword=&fromaddress=no-reply@xxxxx.org&attachmentfilename=OpenAppointments.xls&requestreadreceipt=False&pdfPassword=&EmailSupressIfNoRecords=False&UseSSL=False¶m[@LocationString]=GSIM,APC,FHWC&

Thanks,
ron
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RPT parameter with a comma 20 May 2014 18:51 #1575

• RonMoses
This is still an ongoing problem for us, so if anyone has any thoughts we'd greatly appreciate it. As a last resort we could change all our reports to pipe-delimited instead of comma-delimited, but that's a lot of road we'd rather not tear up if we can help it.

thanks,
ron

RPT parameter with a comma 21 May 2014 13:49 #1577

• aellis
Hey Ron,

Sorry to not reply sooner. I see exactly what is going on there and it is a bit of a limitation of how we designed the schema for RRD files. We use that comma character in the RRD format as a way of handling parameters that accept multiple values so when you key it in here we are trying to apply the list of values to your single value parameter like it is a multi value parameter. Using a character other than the comma (like the pipe) is probably going to be the simplest fix. Another option would be to switch the parameter on your report to be a multi-value parameter but if this is getting punched into a stored procedure or something that may not be an option.

Take care,
Adam

RPT parameter with a comma 21 May 2014 15:20 #1578

• RonMoses
Now that you mention the RRD structure, that makes a lot of sense. Changing things over to pipe-delimited will be a task, but I think this clearly falls under "it is what it is." So onward and upward. Thanks for the reply!

ron