TOPIC: Dynamic Parameter Prompts Taking 8 Minutes to Load

Dynamic Parameter Prompts Taking 8 Minutes to Load 26 Sep 2016 14:14 #2411

• sklimczak
Hi All,

I am having an issue when I, my coworkers, or my end users try to open a Logicity Solution (RRD) file that runs an encrypted Crystal Reports (ERT) file that uses dynamic parameters. When opening the RRD file, the Logicity viewer spins for about 8 minutes before showing the parameter prompts window. After that point, I am able to select my parameters and run the report without any further issues. The report runs correctly, but 8 minutes to load is understandably unacceptable to the end users.

If I change those parameters to static, the report only takes a few seconds to open and display the parameters prompt window. Also, when I run the RPT file in Crystal Reports or the ERT file in Logicity, the parameters prompt window with dynamic parameters takes about 30 seconds to appear, which is longer than I'd like but certainly acceptable. The 8 minute load time issue only appears when the report is run as a RRD file with dynamic parameters.

I tested the report in both Logicity 1.6 Pro and 1.8 Free. Both have this issue.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. We are at a loss as to how this issue could be happening, especially since other people seem to be using Logicity with dynamic parameters with no such issues. Can someone at least point us in the right direction or give us a clue on how to solve this? Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dynamic Parameter Prompts Taking 8 Minutes to Load 26 Sep 2016 14:24 #2412

• mholbrook
Hello,

Have you modified your registry at all to show more values in your dynamic parameter? If you run the report in a full version of Crystal or run the .rpt file in Logicity desktop do you get this lag? Thanks!

Matt

Dynamic Parameter Prompts Taking 8 Minutes to Load 28 Sep 2016 12:25 #2413

• sklimczak
Hello Matt,

We have not modified our registry to show more values in the dynamic parameters. There are currently only 40 values in the view that the parameter pulls its values from, and that view is expected to only grow by a row or two every few months. It's a small dynamic parameter list.

We've opened (and then ran) the RPT file in the full versions of Crystal 2008 and 2013 and from the Logicity Desktop. All have a lag of about 30 seconds to a minute to show the parameters prompt. When we open the RRD file in Logicity Desktop, that lag jumps to 8+ minutes.

Thanks for your assistance!

Dynamic Parameter Prompts Taking 8 Minutes to Load 29 Sep 2016 15:57 #2414

• RonMoses
Setting aside the Logicity part for a moment, 30-60 seconds seems like an awful long time to pull 40 records. Might it be worth looking at optimizing that view first?

Dynamic Parameter Prompts Taking 8 Minutes to Load 29 Sep 2016 20:33 #2415

• sklimczak
The view only takes a split second to pull those 40 records when I query the SQL database directly. When I use the view as a dynamic parameter, then the lag jumps to 30 seconds or so to bring up the parameters prompt. I'm not sure why that would be.

Dynamic Parameter Prompts Taking 8 Minutes to Load 18 Oct 2016 13:54 #2421

• sklimczak
One of my peers was able to narrow down on an issue with the report: one of the tables was using the PUBLIC schema, which was causing an unnecessary lookup on the server. I switched the table to the correct schema. The report now takes 7-18 seconds to show the parameters prompt window, depending on if it's run in Crystal Reports (7 seconds), up to when it's run in Logicity Desktop as an ERD file (18 seconds). When I run an RRD file based off of this new report, the load time remains at about 8 minutes.

I really can't figure out any reason why the RRD portion of this process is causing such huge delays. I believe that this is a Logicity issue, and I would really appreciate it if someone could help debug the cause. Thanks!