• Page:

TOPIC: Database Login problem

Database Login problem 05 Aug 2008 20:55 #237

• JamesRMI
Hello,

I've been using Logicity to email reports on a schedule and it's been working well for the most part.

Today I installed Logicity on a PC that doesn't have Crystal Reports installed on it already. I did this so a user could refresh an RPT file that I put on the network.

They installed it just fine. When they double-click on the RPT file Logicity opens. They enter the report parameters (a start date and an end date). Then the "Database Login" screen appears.

The "Server Name" field is disabled (grayed out) but it has the correct database server anyway so that's not a problem.

The "Login ID" and "Password" fields are enabled so the user can enter the correct user name and password and that's not a problem either.

The "Database" field however is disabled (grayed out) and it does NOT have the database name in the field already (like the "Server Name" field already has the database server).

As expected, when the user clicks on "Finish" the error message appears that "Login failed. Please try again." and brings the user back to the "Database Login" screen.

This does not happen on my PC and the two are identical, both running Windows XP Pro with .NET 2.0 installed. I tried creating an ODBC connection to the server and naming it just as what I have on my PC as well and though the ODBC connection works, this has not resolved the problem.

I'm out of ideas and don't see this issue addressed in the forums or the User Guide.

Thanks,

James
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Database Login problem 07 Aug 2008 00:18 #240

• mccjim
I am using Logicity on many systems without crystal installed. You are right that each machine needs its own ODBC for the database. All information needs to be the same including username and password. If they are different I see the behavior you are talking about.

Re:Database Login problem 07 Aug 2008 00:21 #241

• mccjim
I have also found that if I create a RDD file with a long list of e-mail addresses for multiple requests, Like automating the sending of account statements, if I use the same database credentials I seem to get an "overload" situation and cannot make any more connections to the database.

Foe example I loaded 50 jobs in a RDD file and while the file was open I had 50 connections to the database all by the same user.

Re:Database Login problem 08 Aug 2008 00:26 #242

• JamesRMI
Thanks for the input mccjim.

I am still stumped by this one. I created ODBC connections, and I named them the same as the connection I used in the original Crystal RPT, but I had no luck there. What should I model my ODBC connection after?

Here's something else that's weird...I installed Logicity on one of our servers on the network (Windows 2003 Server), accessed the same RPT file on the network, and it came up no problem...and I never created any ODBC connection.

:blink:

Re:Database Login problem 11 Aug 2008 23:51 #243

• JamesRMI
I thought I would post how I fixed this in case anyone else with the same problem needs help. If anyone has a better solution I'd love to see it!

I tried a UDL file from my analysts' computers and they also could not access the SQL Server database. It was a problem initializing the provider.

This was weird to me since the PC is Windows XP Pro SP2.

At first I went looking for a newer version of MDAC, which would be 2.81 but that's not available for download from Microsoft. 2.8 gets rejected during install because it's too old for SP2.

So I decided to install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition since I already had the file downloaded on the network and I knew it would include client connectivity. When I ran the install I did a custom install and specifically included these components.

This worked immediately and my analysts are now able to use Logicity to open and refresh the RPT files on the network. It seemed like a bit of an extreme solution (overkill) but at least it works and I don't need to keep playing around with it.

Does anyone have any simpler fix? I just kind of assumed the database connectivity was going to work right off the bat without installing anything...

Thanks,

James

Re:Database Login problem 12 Aug 2008 21:44 #244

• sduranceau
I had this same issue & found solution, install SQL native client driver through admin data source works great.

Re:Database Login problem 14 Sep 2008 20:39 #289

• mwilson
Quick comment on the 50 connections with the same user;
We solved a similar problem by enabling "Connection Pooling" in the ODBC connection set up. Also upped the munites to 20000 and all is well and no overload.

Mark

Re:Database Login problem 14 Oct 2009 19:53 #536

• rmdavis
I am having a similar issue. However, if I run my RRD file on our Small Business Server which is running Server 2003 the RRD runs flawlessly. If I run the RRD on my Vista Ultimate machine which also has MS SQL 2005 Studio I get the Database login failed error. Same Crystal Reports, same RRD, same databases (one SQL one MSExcel), same SQL 2005 on a different OS. I am waiting for the solution, but continue to run these on our SBS server for now.

Still love Logicity!

Rick Davis - Infinite Computer Solutions

Re:Database Login problem 16 Oct 2009 12:26 #539

• aellis
So does your Crystal Report have two connections on the same report - one for SQL Server and the other for Excel? Are you providing any sort of user name and password in the RRD? Lastly, how are each of these connections set up in Crystal (i.e. is SQL Server ODBC or OLE, is Excel ODBC, DAO, or something else)? I've got an idea what is going on, but I want to make sure I've got all of the details down first.

Thanks,
Adam

Re:Database Login problem 23 Oct 2009 16:14 #545

• eremington
If user go through solution builder and input the their DB credentials it works.

If user just open the report with logicity and try to refresh it comes with Login error.

I built report (user1 password1 in ODBC settings on my machine) and user using logicity has same ODBC settings but ( user2 password2 in ODBC settins)

everithing else is the same.

report was built with CRXI
database: ORACLE
save data in report: yes
See file attached (error pic)

Help me help you. I want my company to pick Logicity as its best bang for the buck.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 23 Oct 2009 16:54 by eremington. Reason: cleaning it a bit
  • Page: