TOPIC: using gmail as an SMTP Server??

using gmail as an SMTP Server?? 07 Sep 2010 23:27 #659

• Cixsmogsrox
Hi I wanted to install this on a clients network that I don't necessarily know the smtp server. Can I use gmail as the outgoing server and do it that way? So far I haven't been able to use the email portion of this software and would love to be able to. it just fails and doesnt say why.

Open to other suggestions here as well.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:using gmail as an SMTP Server?? 08 Sep 2010 13:14 #660

• aellis
I believe that, because gmail uses a TLS encrypted connection for SMTP, Logicity probably isn't going to work for it (we do not currently support any SMTP encryption). The only thing you might try to just see if it works is setting the SMTP port to 587, but I really doubt it is going to work.

Re:using gmail as an SMTP Server?? 08 Sep 2010 17:30 #661

• Cixsmogsrox
ok thanks. tried 587 and it didnt work. any other suggestions for smtp services out there? preferably free and secure? I just didnt want to go thru the hassle of using the company smtp server and all that... exchange admins tend to get weird when I ask for smtp access.

doesnt need to be gmail but i figured I would try. Any suggestions?

Re:using gmail as an SMTP Server?? 30 Jul 2012 14:05 #1047

• sduranceau
Hello!
Logicity 1.7 now supports SSL encryption, which will allow you to use GMail or similar providers as your email server.
For using GMail, all you have to do is set your SMTP Server to "smtp.google.com", and set your port to 587. Then once the "Use SSL" checkbox is checked, your gmail should work for sending outgoing mail.

I hope this helped!
-Devin
Attachments: