• Page:

TOPIC: failed to retireve data in solution builder

failed to retireve data in solution builder 18 Feb 2010 02:42 #588

• wsquare
I am trying to schedule a report to run, however when I build an RRD file in solution builder and try and run it I get an error saying "Failed to retrieve data from the database. Database vendor code: -204 (This is an IBM DB2 database if that makes any difference).

If I just double click on the report so it opens in Logicity Desktop it works fine. I have tried multiple reports and they work in the desktop but not through an RRD file.

Any ideas?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:failed to retireve data in solution builder 11 Jan 2011 18:40 #718

• cheirobom
I have similar problem using sql server 2005. Error message is attached.

I have a report that has a stored procedure for a data source. It requires a parameter. It runs fine in logicity desktop. It doesn't work right in rrd file though. The rrd solution works if I select view and don't specify a login. If I specify a login I get an error. Also if i select print or save, I get the same error. When selecting print/save, i get the error regardless of whether the login is specified in rrd. I have pro version and need to make a print rrd using command line parameter. Any suggestions?
Attachments:

Re:failed to retireve data in solution builder 11 Jan 2011 19:08 #720

• cheirobom
i have .net framework 4 installed. Should i uninstall it and try 3.5?

Re:failed to retireve data in solution builder 12 Jan 2011 15:16 #721

• aellis
Mark,

Does it work for reports that are not based on stored procedures? If it works for those then I would think this isn't really a .Net issue and might be more of an issue with the way we apply security to stored procedure reports. I'll have to try this on my end to tell you for certain what we are up against here but any additional info you can provide from your end will help.

-Adam

Re:failed to retireve data in solution builder 12 Jan 2011 16:38 #723

• cheirobom
Yes other reports, not based on stored procedure, work fine in rrd. The stored procedure requires parameter so it can process server side. The report is saved without data (although i tested it with data as well). It has a subreport. The subreport has records. At least the parameter values i have tested with do. The main report always has records.

I just tested a new report based on same sp. It was simple, no subreport, just dropped the parameter field into the details section and saved it. It ran fine in rrd with save action and a hard coded parameter. So maybe it does have something to do with the subreport. The sub report also has a parameter.

I will attach the report. Not sure if you can do anything with it without a database/stored procdure.

Re:failed to retireve data in solution builder 12 Jan 2011 16:43 #724

• aellis
Hmm - that is interesting. I wonder if it has more to do with the connection information for the subreport that is stored in the RPT file. How about you make a copy of the report, edit it in Crystal to remove the subreport, and test it again. That might help to isolate the issue.

Re:failed to retireve data in solution builder 12 Jan 2011 16:52 #725

• cheirobom
Tried as you suggested. Original report does run without the subreport. Any suggestions on how i can get it to work with the sub?

Re:failed to retireve data in solution builder 12 Jan 2011 17:11 #726

• cheirobom
A little more info. The subreport has its own sp which also has a parameter. It appears that parameter is provided by the stored procedure in the main report. I didn't write the report or the stored procedures, i just know it works manually outside of the rrd.

Re:failed to retireve data in solution builder 12 Jan 2011 17:19 #727

• aellis
Sounds like quite a report! Anyway, I guess I am still leaning towards this being a connection settings issue. If you look at the connection properties of each object in crystal under Set Datasource Location do all of the settings match up exactly the same?

Re:failed to retireve data in solution builder 12 Jan 2011 18:04 #728

• cheirobom
The connection properties look the same.

I did notice that the sp's had different owners. The one used by main had owner dbo. The sub sp had owner report. The login used by crystal is user report. So for the hell of it i made anothter main sp with the owner being report. So now its all consistent using report for everything. This didn't change anything though.
  • Page: